If you’ve used iOS 11, then you’ve probably noticed that your pictures aren’t stored in the all-familiar JPG format. Apple has adopted the new high-efficiency HEIC image format. Given how new the format is, it may take a while to spread into the other mainstream markets. As such, you may find yourself needing to convert your photos to JPG to avoid incompatibility.
Luckily, there are numerous ways to convert HEIC images to JPG on iOS devices. The process may be a bit complicated, but here’s a step-by-step guide on conversion using the various applications available:
How to convert heic files to jpg using AirDroid
AirDroid lets you transfer files across multiple platforms, including transfer photos from iPhone to Android devices and send from iPhone to Windows or Mac computers.
When you want to transfer your heic photos to other devices and convert heic to jpg automatically, you can follow the steps:
- Download AirDroid from AppStore and open it.
- Make sure the "Auto-convert HEIC to JPG files when the receiver does not support HEIC" option in settings is enabled.
- Choose the heic photos you want to send, and transfer to other devices.
- When the other devices received the images, they will be automatically converted to jpg.
How to convert heic files to jpg using Photos
Photos is the most popular image viewing and editing app for iOS users. It’s also where you’ll interact with HEIC pictures the most. Luckily, the app also gives you a method to convert images from HEIC to JPG with no third-party application. Notably, if you’ve transferred photos from your iPhone to your Photos library, dragging them to the desktop or any folder will automatically convert them to JPG. Handy, right?
A second method makes use of the control iOS gives when moving photos. Here, you can set your preferences for the image format and quality by following the steps below:
- Select the HEIC images you wish to convert.
- Click on File in the menu toolbar, then export, then export photos.
- Change the photo kind’ option to JPG, and set your other preferences.
- Click export.
How to convert heic files to jpg using Preview
Photos may be trendy, but that doesn’t mean that every iOS user is a fan. If you don’t use Photos and are still looking to convert those images to JPG, you can use the default photo display app on Mac, Preview. Given that you can also do some editing with the app, it’s an efficient alternative to Photos. Here’s how to convert using Preview:
- Select and open the image you wish to change in Preview.
- In the menu toolbar, click on File, then export.
- Choose JPG in the format subsection of the menu that appears.
- Click on save.
This method doesn’t support batch conversion and may be convenient for those who regularly convert images.
How to convert heic files to jpg with Automator
If you’ve used Automator before, you’ll agree that it’s pretty underrated. From renaming files and folders in batches to moving folders and filtering spam mail, this default iOS app can handle plenty of tasks for you. Moreover, the app can convert HEIC images to JPG. You can also preset it and launch it from the desktop without relaunching the app. Here’s how:
- Start Automator and select a new document.
- Click on quick action, then choose.
- Look for the images you wish to convert under copy finders action and select the folder within which you’d like to save the JPG images.
- Search for change type of images action, and select jpg in the drop-down menu.
- Save your quick action.
Share your photos across all devices
Good things take time. Despite the many advantages of high-efficiency image formatting, it may take a while before it’s available on all the platforms. Luckily, you can continue to send your photos across multiple platforms with the methods above. Spread the love!