What is Android TV?
Android TV is designed for televisions, set-top boxes (a.k.a. TV boxes), and digital media players, which is based on the Android system.
Although it is based on the structure of Android OS, it is customized for the products mentioned above, which means the interface and permissions are very different from the stock Android system.
In this article, we will show you:
How do I identify Android TV?
Method 1: Home Screen
When you turn on your device, you will see the interface like this:
If this is the interface on your device, it may probably be installed on Android TV, and you may try Method 2 or proceed to How to grant Accessibility for Remote Control manually?
Method 2: Granting Accessibility permission
1. Please install Biz Daemon on your device and open the Biz Daemon permission page.
Then, enable Accessibility for Remote Control.
Here is the example of the Biz Daemon permission page:
Please refer to How to Configure Newly Deployed Devices for AirDroid Business?
2. When you tap on the Accessibility, and it does not direct you to the system settings like the screenshot, it means your devices are using the Android TV, which is different from the stock Android system.
Given that, you need to manually enable the Accessibility on the system settings so that you can remote control your devices.
How to grant Accessibility for Remote Control manually?
We will take the Mi Box for example. Please refer to the following instructions for enabling Accessibility on the system settings. Some steps may vary due to different device models and brands.
1. Go to Settings > Accessibility > tap on Biz Daemon under Services and enable it as the following screenshots.
2. After that, please open the desktop client and select the Mi Box for Remote Control.
3. If you cannot connect the device, we suggest you can switch to Dynamic mode and retry the process.
FAQ of Android TV
Q: What should I do if I cannot enable Accessibility for Biz Daemon or Accessibility is not displayed on the system settings?
A: Due to the system limitation of the Android TV, your devices may not be available for Remote Control via Accessibility.
Please contact the manufacturer of your devices and see if they provide a newer version of firmware to enable Accessibility for applications like Biz Daemon.
Or, if switching devices are available, please find other devices that have Accessibility for Remote Control or are rooted.
There are a few things to notice on Android TV:
- Device Owner, Device Admin apps and Allow collect usage data permissions may not be available on your devices due to the system limitation, which means you could not use the App List and Kiosk features.
- As for Install Unknown apps permission, if you can enable it and press OK for this permission, you can still use the AMS to release updated apps on your TV.
- If your device is connected to AC power, Ignore Battery Optimization may not be available as well. Due to the customization of Android TV, some of the permissions may not be available.